As we approach another weekend, I wanted to very briefly bring up an upcoming event at the US Capitol next Thursday honoring Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and others, like Susan Dowd Stone, MSW, LCSW, who have been supportive on the legislative front with respect to postpartum depression (PPD). For more details, visit Ms. Stone’s Empowher write-up, as well as Katherine Stone’s blog post about the event, but if not, go on over there and read up on what this event is all about!
The event will be hosted by the S.P.A.R.K.S. Center in Brooklyn, NY. Its mission is just what the acronym stands for–Serving Pre and Post-Natal Women and Families with Awareness, Relief, Knowledge and Support.
Ms Stone will be among several in attendance who will be speaking to Members of Congress about the importance of the SPARKS mission and the funding of PPD initiatives, in general. Members of Congress expected to be at this event include:
- Congresswoman Shelly Berkley
- Congressman Bobby L. Rush
- Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins
- Congressman Jerrold Nadler
- Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney
- Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy
- Congressman James E. Clyburn
- Congresswoman Allyson Y. Schwartz