Taking a moment to post a quick blurb about the article “Out from the Shadows” in the June 2014 edition of Women Magazine. Thank you, Diana Price, for including my story in this wonderfully informative article on perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMAD).
The articles touches on key points to try to increase awareness of PMADs, including:
- What does a PMAD encompass and what are some of the causes/risk factors.
- The importance of screening new moms.
- What should be done to prevent and treat PMADs.
- Tips for family members and friends of new moms experiencing a PMAD.
- Resources, including the blog Postpartum Progress and the international organization Postpartum Support International (of which I’ve been a member since 2006). PSI is currently hosting its annual conference at the University of North Carolina Center for Women’s Mood Disorders, Chapel Hill, NC. Certificate training took place on June 18-19 and the main conference begins tomorrow, June 20 and ends the evening of June 21st. Click here for more details. On Twitter, look for the #PSIconf2014 hashtag.
Please take a few minutes to read this article and share it with others via Facebook and Twitter. The more we educate, the less ignorance and stigma on maternal mental health issues!